Official eCanada forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gifting Exchange

+2
TTplaya
Andy Goolahee
6 posters

Go down

Gifting Exchange Empty Gifting Exchange

Post by Andy Goolahee Sun May 24, 2009 9:29 am

Can anyone tell me how to get this going?

Thanks in advance.
Andy Goolahee
Andy Goolahee
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Gifting Exchange Empty Re: Gifting Exchange

Post by TTplaya Sun May 24, 2009 11:10 pm

Even better than setting up a gift exchange with someone, is the Canadian Health Services program. You can get gifts cheaper than market price through them. Read here for details.
TTplaya
TTplaya
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

http://www.erepublik.com/en/citizen/profile/1309480

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Goolahee Mon May 25, 2009 7:55 am

So CHS is a better option? I wasn't sure. Thanks for the guidance.

We need an immigration office to outline these things to newcomers...it's not in the FAQ. In fact the FAQ suggests a gift exchange.
Andy Goolahee
Andy Goolahee
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by TTplaya Mon May 25, 2009 10:45 am

A gift exchange is just between 2 people who will buy gifts off the market and gift them to each other. Through the CHS you get gifts at lower than market price, so yeah, it is better.

If you have any suggestions for improving the FAQ, I'd suggest sending a PM to Dade Pendwyn, because he's the owner of that.
TTplaya
TTplaya
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

http://www.erepublik.com/en/citizen/profile/1309480

Back to top Go down

Post by petz Mon May 25, 2009 1:35 pm

at current prices....the gift exchange is cheaper than the 15.45 for 10 gifts that CHS offers

petz
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mackaybre Mon May 25, 2009 1:53 pm

The CHS is working on being the best option, and it certainly will be as soon as a few changes are made. Petz is right at the moment, for there are several market offers at a lower price than the CHS. The main differences between a Gift exchange and the CHS are that a Gift exchange is not centrally organized at the moment and that it's more of an immediate gifting negotiation with someone else who's online. I would strongly suggest popping on IRC to arrange a gift exchange rather than relying on the forums.

I strongly encourage newcomers to look into the CHS for gifting needs, but occasionally gifts on the open market cost Less per wellness than what the CHS offers. Among the changes I'm looking to implement is the automatic reduction of CHS prices according to market values to ensure eCanadians are getting the best deal for their wellness. This may include a refund where overpayment occurred. Until those changes are discussed fully and approved, look on the market for gifts that work out to less than the CHS's offering.

Currently (May 25, 2009) CHS offers $1.55 CAD / Wellness: Use a calculator and divide the Price in CAD by the Quality of the Gift to get the Price per Wellness. e.g. Q1 Gift at $1.54 CAD or under is cheaper than the CHS, so if you have a buddy online to immediately exchange a gift with, Go for it.
e.g. Q2 Gift at $3.08 CAD ($3.08 / 2 = $1.54) or under is cheaper than the CHS, so if you have a buddy online to immediately exchange a gift with, Go for it.

As much as I like the CHS-- I help run it, even-- for the greatest convenience, a gift exchange with a buddy who is online at the same time you are is a better choice than the CHS, because you can Immediately get your wellness. The main benefit of the CHS is intended to be in terms of cost, especially in relation to the price/wellness gain of Food and houses, and we'll continue to work to maintain that benefit.

Last edited by Mackaybre on Mon May 25, 2009 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Stated "Food" instead of "Gift")
Mackaybre
Mackaybre
Pillar of the Community
Pillar of the Community

Back to top Go down

Post by petz Mon May 25, 2009 2:34 pm

i believe the CHS is good in times when gift prices are high (war time) but when they are low, please support ecanadian businesses

petz
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mackaybre Mon May 25, 2009 2:58 pm

It's not about business interests here in this thread, Petz, it's about what's best for the individual. Cost and convenience are the main concerns of an individual, and when someone is asking what's best for them, let's stay away from a bias towards businesses.
Mackaybre
Mackaybre
Pillar of the Community
Pillar of the Community

Back to top Go down

Post by petz Mon May 25, 2009 3:05 pm

the point is that tax dollars are how CHS is able to operate...the same tax dollars that come from citizens buying from companies...it is in the best interest of the citizen to help companies as they are the means by which the CHS can exist

petz
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mackaybre Mon May 25, 2009 3:20 pm

Seriously Petz, this is not the place for that argument. I think you're wrong, both in terms of your identification of the factors relevant to the individual eCanadian and in your conclusions thereof. I'm more concerned right now because you just went further away from the topic of this thread by talking about tax dollars and how that helps the CHS. This thread is about the individual making a choice of what's best for them, so let's take this CHS v. Gifting Companies discussion back to the Congress thread regarding the CHS where it belongs.

Individually, a person looks at price of gifts, and how soon they'll get the gifts. That's Price and Convenience. They don't care about how much of what they pay is in Tax, they just care about their total cost and the benefit they receive in return. Helping businesses does not enter into it.
Mackaybre
Mackaybre
Pillar of the Community
Pillar of the Community

Back to top Go down

Post by petz Mon May 25, 2009 5:35 pm

it will enter into it when the CHS as no funds to supply them and then the cost at companies jumps back up and citizens are having to pay 1.8-2 CAD for a q1 gift again. the two topics go hand in hand...and are not exclusive of one another

however, for this individual, currently buying off the market would be cheaper and best

petz
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

Back to top Go down

Gifting Exchange Empty Bad Link

Post by J Pappin Tue May 26, 2009 1:37 am

FYI - The link https://ecanada.forumotion.com/canadian-health-care-f46/ redirects in an infinite loop... I'm not able to hit the page.

J Pappin
Lurker
Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Mackaybre Tue May 26, 2009 9:53 am

That link only works once you've been masked as a citizen.

Petz please just think about your points before you post them. $1.55/wellness is the most expensive gifts will ever be through the CHS. Often times it'll be cheaper without even having to use subsidy money because of the Market. Your claims are alarmist and without any thought or merit. If Q1 gifts were to go back up above $1.55, people would get more gifts through the CHS at-cost program. To compete, gifting companies would again lower their prices to below $1.55, and (lo and behold) the at-cost would drop below $1.55 again.
Mackaybre
Mackaybre
Pillar of the Community
Pillar of the Community

Back to top Go down

Post by petz Tue May 26, 2009 11:06 am

yes at 1.55 the program is ok...at 1.00 it is wrong and i will continue to say so over and over...

petz
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mackaybre Tue May 26, 2009 11:24 am

I disagree, and I think you would too if you actually took any time to retain information from my previous posts; See my post in the Congress thread about your cycles of claiming things that have already been addressed.

However, as this thread has jack-all to do with your business concerns about CHS subsidies, I decline to argue further in this thread. Additionally, I'm tired of explaining the gaping holes in your vehement claims to you. Please feel free to have the last word by posting once more.

If anyone else has questions or needs clarification, I'd be more than happy to discuss it with them either through PM or on here.
Mackaybre
Mackaybre
Pillar of the Community
Pillar of the Community

Back to top Go down

Post by petz Tue May 26, 2009 11:32 am

lol my claims are valid....that is why the proposed 1.00 per gift was put on hold...lol

petz
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

Back to top Go down

Post by Convidad Tue May 26, 2009 7:17 pm

can't go to CHS...

Convidad

Back to top Go down

Post by Banana Bill Tue May 26, 2009 7:20 pm

absintOo you are not maked yet PM Adasko to get maked